October 20, 2010

Hey, Mom...

A couple years ago I borrowed a handy little knitting gadget from my mother.  It’s for counting stitches as you knit, and with each click of a button the counter rises.  I am not a knitter, but I am a stay-at-home mom, and decided to scientifically measure how many times a day I heard the phrase, “Hey, Mom…” or some variation of it.  I gave up after the first hour, having hit 48.
I love being a mother.  I dreamed of it as a little girl, growing up in a time when “stay-at-home mom” was redundant.  Now I willingly ignore the flow of culture that would pull me away from home, and am completely committed to this way of life that my husband and I believe is the best for our kids.  At approximately the pace of 48 needs per hour, I serve a function in my family and have a special place in their lives.  I wouldn’t change a thing.  For us, this is just right.
Along the road of parenthood and familyhood, we Wilburs have acquired our own way of doing nearly everything, just like the rest of you out there.  Family life is rich and rewarding, but requires commitment, common sense, serious thought, planning, wisdom, and just a touch of silliness and nonsense now and then.  Though I tend not to offer people my two cents without being asked, I’ll fight my better judgment and do just that here.  I hope to share bits and pieces of what we’ve learned along the way, and how it is that we approach day-to-day life as a family.
And so I give you a parting thought and overhead shot of a survival tip for those nights when the to-do list is not done, and the cupboard is bare and the sole bread-winner works late, but will be coming to the rescue for himself and his wife with take-out food long after the kids will be in bed.  I present to you a child’s delight:  Rainbow Supper.  My children (all except our fourteen-year-old, who is wise to my ways) love Rainbow Supper.  Simply put, it’s the scraps of food left in the fridge and cupboard, arranged in rainbow color order upon our chintzy $2.00 pizza-patterned platter.  It's a miniature buffet, and the four kids can't leave the table until it's all gone.  You’d be surprised what healthy things they’ll eat when it’s from a rainbow!  OK, so those are KitKats you see there.  And marshmallows.  And even tired looking microwaved hot dogs.  But look at the fruit and vegetables!  You should have seen the rainbow disappear tonight!  (A perfect night for it… after all, I had a blog to begin!)

And in case you were wondering, the kids called my name six times while writing this.  They become independent so quickly…

5 comments:

  1. This is so true and to-o-o-o-o-o-o realistic!!!

    The last time I tried to use the computer when the children were not in bed, I ended up calling poison control because one of them got into my husband's habanero peppers!!!!

    Great first post. Keep it up, Rainbow Mom. Skip the take-out, give me the Kit-Kats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Laura, this is fantastic! And rainbow supper is inspired!!! Good luck with the blog! xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the encouragement, ladies!

    Buffalochick, I know you know how it is with a busy household! And I think I'll have to agree - candy trumps take-out any day of the week!

    And Elizabeth, thanks for the good wishes! Please, readers, check out Elizabeth's blog for some lovely ideas! She was an inspiration to me in starting this little venture into blogging. She's a natural decorator and writer - truly a treat to read her blog! www.chandelierious.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mom told me to check out your blog here. Great to read about your life and it makes me wish I lived a lot closer.
    Going through my teen years, you were one of those people that I was excited to get to know more and was looking forward to being "co-adults" with, you know? But God and circumstances pulled us apart.
    It's great to be able to catch up a bit on your blog though! Mine is: www.radianceofjoy.wordpress.com.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Karen! What kind words and thoughts to share with me. I've taken a quick glance at your blog just now, and it looks wonderful, though it brought tears to my eyes at the sweet things you've written about your dad. I plan to sit and read in more detail later tonight. Thanks for reading here... glad to have a way to be in each other's lives, even if it's miles apart!

    ReplyDelete