December 23, 2010

If a plant dies, do you bury it in the ground?

I have never been able to keep houseplants alive for long.  Before we get too far into this, let me be clear: that doesn’t bother me, and I’m not seeking advice on how to develop my horticultural skills.  I’m simply reporting the facts.  The fact is that I am not good at taking care of plants.  Observe the only one in our home:
I don’t know what went wrong, but I suppose if I did, I would have detected it long ago and this poor thing’s life could have been spared.  Maybe it’s not even dead, but just in a coma or something.  Either way, I lit a candle in its honor and have accepted its demise.  I’ve found a much better use for that cute little fern-covered plant container, one that suits my needs and interests far better:
I’m all for learning, growing, and trying one’s best to overcome obstacles in life.  But I also recognize defeat when I see it, and it was staring at me in the face, albeit in a droopy and lifeless form.  So I’ll stick with keeping our fish alive (after all, they’re somewhat self-watering) and move on.  My Sharpies look like they are begging to be used now that they have such a chic new home.  Maybe I'll draw a pretty picture of a healthy houseplant...

No comments:

Post a Comment