October 10, 2011

What's cookin' good-lookin'?

When I was first married I knew little about cooking.  I could make four or five things, but most of those were desserts.  As that was not a sustainable long-term plan, I had to figure out how to cook.  Through the early years I was convinced that there was some standard of perfection for each meal that was achievable only to those with "the gift".  I was also convinced I didn’t have it.
Eventually I realized that if my family liked what I made, then it was good.  Beauty is in the mouth of the taster.  I began to focus my cooking efforts on pleasing my husband and children without regard for what others say is the "right way" to make a particular dish.  In time, I learned to make many different things by taking a recipe and tweaking it until it met with the Wilbur standard.  We’ve even created a recipe or two completely from scratch.  By no means does any of it equate to world class chef culinary perfection, but it’s what works for us.  Since we’re eating it, that’s all that matters.
This is among the reasons that I have not shared recipes here on the blog up until now (with the exception of “rainbow supper” of course.)  How I make things isn’t necessarily going to please your palate.  But if you look at them instead as suggestions and starting points, perhaps they will be useful to you as you make meals for your loved ones.  I’ll also be sharing with you ideas that have worked for us to simplify the organizational part of cooking for a family.
So watch for the new post label, “What’s cookin’ good-lookin’?” (Let's start from a place of confidence, ladies!  You're beautiful, and so is your food!)

1 comment:

  1. I love the title of your new feature! I need to have some ideas in the cooking department, so I'm excited about that. Maybe I start a feature on my blog.

    ReplyDelete